The Park City Council meeting on Thursday will include a final update on the city’s plans for July 4th and the review of summer programs at the proposed arts and culture district’s location.
Amid ongoing concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic, Park City City Council first raised its concern about holding a July 4th parade on the weekend of July 4th in early May. The council finally decided on a parade on Friday July 2nd.
The local council will receive a final schedule for the holiday celebrations from city officials on Thursday.
The decision to postpone the parade from the traditional date has more than tousled a few feathers. Jenny Diersen, director of the city’s economic development program, said the city had received “an extraordinary amount of feedback” on the issue, some even calling the city unpatriotic.
Although Park City traditionally holds its parade on the 4th, many communities along the Wasatch Front have postponed their holiday celebrations this year as well.
In addition to ongoing COVID-19 worries, the city was also trying to make the parade a local event, city manager Matt Dias said.
“I know COVID and the security protocols were at the fore at the time we were trying to make these decisions,” Dias said. âBut there was also that aspect of trying to have a local parade and celebration, and there’s a contingent out there suggesting that if we can find more creative ways we might get less traffic out of Salt Lake and the surrounding communities, an event that may be less intense, less impacting our infrastructure, causing less traffic and congestion, and seeing more of your neighbors and the people you know every day. When I say this, I realize that we are part of a larger ecosystem and there is only so much we can do, but I think we are being asked by the public to try some things so we have to see how it goes this year . “
This year’s holiday activities include the parade on Friday July 2nd, an Air Force flyover at 10 a.m. on Saturday 3rd, and a volleyball tournament and traditional police memorial service on Sunday 4th. The fireworks were off due to prolonged drought canceled.
The council is also considering approving a temporary summer program at the site of the proposed arts and culture district.
The council held a study session on the matter last week and decided to consider formally approving events such as music and food trucks at the site while the district’s fate is still debated.
Dias said with the property nearing complete demolition, low impact events this summer could be good use of the space.
“The council took a step back, they heard from the community, they heard from co-workers and others, and I think their request was a slight activation in this area,” he said. âYou are nearing completion with the material aspects of deconstruction. As you can see as you drive past the website there are some areas that are inaccessible. There are only a few areas that will be inaccessible because of the demolition, but there are other areas where we left the grass, we left the sward, we left the trees there, and we left the asphalt in place about the remaining summer and autumn that we could possibly activate. ”
If approved, programming would run from August to October. The budget for the project is set at $ 150,000.
Also on the agenda is the approval of an additional schedule for the Kimball Arts Festival 2021.